October 29, 2009 - Snow Job Ch 01 Pg 17
Snow Job Ch 01 Pg 17

Snow Job Ch 01 Pg 17

I always meant for Ril to be a bit of a weapons freak. I didn’t really do anything with that in the first arc, so I figured I would start showing that in the new story. While this sequence ended up being a lot of panels for one page, I thought it would be worth it just for the fun of showing how loaded up Ril can be. I especially like the beat of panel 6, where Sira Tep doesn’t even have to ASK for more weapons.  He just waits.

Discussion (11)¬

1. That blank panel is great. I can’t see his face but I just imagine a lifted eyebrow aimed at Ril.

2. katfeete says:

There’s always the one. More weapons are BETTER. Clanking when you walk is BEST….

3. Khard12 says:

Reminds me of Tack in “Police Academy”

4. Frith Ra says:

He forgot the stash in his boots, & the derringer in his nose horn.

5. Houlihan says:

lol! Another reason why Ril is the man.
    BTW No smoking in the HES’ domain, I’ll have to confiscate
    your cigars. Ril: “NOOO!”

6. From Doctor Who to Looney Tunes and beyond I’ve seen variations of this joke many, many times. It never gets old. Probably my new favorite Runners page thus far.

• Fourth Master says:

I agree. As long as it’s kept to only one or two characters per team, I never get tired of this joke.

7. Antonious says:

I used to be part of a living history group and knew several people like Ril. None of them clanked though. One took fifteen minutes to remove all of his weapons.

• Pendrake says:

reminds me of Jed from Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas.

Guards ask them to drop their weapons at the door, rest of the guys put maybe a sword, couple daggers, so on…. he drops a sword, several daggers, a Crossbow, several grenades, a grapnel launcher… and still unloading weapons five minutes later when everyone leaves.

• Sean Wang says:

Definitely a gag that’s been done a number of times. But as some other readers have said, and I agree, it’s always fun! I think the key is making the audience buy in to the character ahead of time, so that when it happens, it totally feels like something the character would do, and not just an excuse for the writer to do that particular joke.

Comment¬