August 23, 2010 - Snow Job Ch 04 Pg 02
Snow Job Ch 04 Pg 02

Snow Job Ch 04 Pg 02

The layout of the hut interior was a bit tricky to work with. I wanted the inner ring of columns since Roka and company were going to be tied to them, but those columns definitely made panel compositions more challenging. It was tough at times finding good angles that would clearly show the characters, their spatial relationships with each other, and the layout of the room itself, all without the columns themselves blocking a lot of that visual information. But I think they worked out well in the end and, in some cases, made for nice foreground elements that really enhanced the depth of the panels.

Discussion (15)¬

1. Feroz Nazir says:

Nice to see continuity with Ril’s weapon collection on display.

It’s a good thing we skipped ahead in time. :-D

• Torbjörn Larsson, OM says:

Yes. But if the cost was to hear an artificial editorial, I dunno if it was good in sum. Maybe something along the lines of “So, now that we finally got all weapons from you and Horn-Beak the one-man armory …”

2. Torbjörn Larsson, OM says:

Of course Eye-Spokes can’t overlook _any_ circumstance!

That said, Goshen takes it personally. Maybe he suspect he has more than Roka et al tied to a fifth column.

3. Arthan says:

Almost forgot Ril carried more firepower than an armored division^^

4. Exxos says:

I am wondering if horn-beak is a racial slur, a term whipped up to describe his species on the fly, or common slang.

• Feroz Nazir says:

Perhaps the Ulon Dosi don’t get to travel around in space that much?

So horn-beak could be Clem’s creative interpretation to compensate for his lack of knowledge.

Creative interpretation with a hint of ‘you pissed me off’. ;-)

5. Sean Wang says:

I’m not entirely sure of Clem’s usage of the term myself, but I’m leaning towards “horn-beak” being a known insulting nickname for Ril’s species, for no other reason than I think it will be fun to see others refer to him as such during the course of the series. Not that there aren’t plenty of other insulting names he can be called…

• Feroz Nazir says:

“a known insulting nickname for Ril’s species”

So Exxos’s suspision would be correct? Clem uses a racial slur?

It would give the comic a darker feeling I suppose, but it also makes me loose a lot of sympathy for Clem.

• Exxos says:

That was why I was asking, to determine the familiarity with the civilizations of their own planet and to get a greater appreciation for the tone of the situation.

6. Artie says:

Great comic! Beatiful artwork! How often does this update?

• Sean Wang says:

Thanks, Artie! I’ve been meaning to add a small blurb about the update schedule on the home page somewhere around the top banner but still haven’t gotten around to it. Anyway, new comic (story) pages post every Monday, and new Bonus Features post every Thursday. The Bonus Features appear below the page art for that week and generally feature concept sketches, examples of my step-by-step art process for certain pages, conventions sketches, and random other artwork related to the making of the series. Enjoy! And tell a friend!! It’s all about word of mouth. :)

Comment¬