June 1, 2009 - Bad Goods Ch 03 Pg 13
Bad Goods Ch 03 Pg 13

Bad Goods Ch 03 Pg 13

As I mention in the sketchbook section of the graphic novel collection, my early passes at the Oniaka city-station looked much more like traditional space stations and didn’t register as anything terribly unique. Once I settled on the station being planted on a huge chunk of planetoid, not only did I get a look that I was happy with, but I also stumbled into an interesting backstory for the Jondhi race itself. So the Jondhi history wasn’t part of the original script but found its way in only after I had concepted the look of the station.

For story reasons, I needed the station’s entry and exit hatches to be visually different from each other, so readers could tell them apart later. So the entry hatches are built into the rocky part, running along the “equator” of the station. The exit hatches are stacked vertically in the short support “arms” that span from rock to dome.

Discussion (8)¬

1. kat says:

That. Is the coolest space station concept EVER.

*Very* impressed now.

2. Sean Wang says:

Thanks, Kat! All my earlier attempts were for more traditional all-metal stations. They had interesting shapes to them but overall just felt very enclosed in a Death Star/DS9 kind of way. That wouldn’t have been a big deal, but I had envisioned the big upcoming action scene to feel like an open sky and outdoor street chase, which an enclosed station wouldn’t have provided. Once I settled on the dome and rock surface, that pretty much gave me the look I was going for.

3. den says:

yea, realy a great station! i like it! has some thing from atlantis…

4. Woden says:

Actually, the design reminds me of the Martian city shown in Cowboy Bebop, which was located in a massive crater with an Earthlike atmosphere in the basin of the crater, with a curtain of moving air to keep the atmosphere from spilling out over the rim. I always thought that was a great concept, and I like seeing a similar concept here.

5. Sean Wang says:

Yet another reason I need to see Cowboy Bebop. Several people have told me that I have to watch that series, and it’s high on my list. Hopefully one of these days, I’ll finally have the time to get to it!

6. kerabe says:

James Blish – Cities In Flight
    Earth cities torn from the surface of the earth and protected by a dome. Fly through the universe using giant engines called a “spindizzy”. BTW, trĂ© cool comic! I’ve just started reading it and really like it.

7. Sean Wang says:

Thanks, Kerabe, and welcome aboard! Glad you’re liking the series. Plenty more to come…

Comment¬