March 17, 2009 - Bad Goods Ch 01 Pg 12
Bad Goods Ch 01 Pg 12

Bad Goods Ch 01 Pg 12

When I was a kid, I kinda remember “force fields” being a big thing in all sorts of sci-fi stories. And then they all just seemed to go away. With Hamron’s “body shells,” I wanted to introduce the tech of person-level force fields that wearers could use to protect them from weapon attacks. They can also be modulated for atmospheric containment to allow a wearer to withstand harsh environments or even the vaccuum of space for limited amounts of time.

And in keeping with different characters holstering their guns in different ways, I thought I’d have Hamron hang his gun in front of his body as opposed to on the side like everyone else does. Not sure why no one ever does this, as the gun would easily be within comfortable reach. Maybe because it would end up slapping your junk when you walked.

Discussion (9)¬

1. Jon Young says:

I’m not getting this page (Ch 01, Pg 12) to load in either Firefox or IE.

• Sean Wang says:

My bad. There was a slight naming problem with the file so it didn’t automatically load this morning. Should be up now. I’d blame computers and technology, but as a sci-fi comic, that might seem like biting the hand that feeds. :)

2. Jon Young says:

Yay. Thanks for the fix….in both the technical and figuritive. This is gonna become a daily stop for me. =)

3. BrianT says:

I’m still not getting it in IE.

4. Peggy says:

Hi Brian,

I’m Sean’s wife and webmaster. Have you tried a hard refresh (CTRL-F5) since you visited the blank page? Perhaps your browser is caching and loading the blank page when you revisit.

If that doesn’t work, let me know what operating system, browser, and browser version number you are using.

Thanks,
    Peggy

5. BrianT says:

I tried just hitting “refresh” but that didn’t work last night, but lo and behold the page is there today! Thanks!

6. Jay Adan says:

You know, Jack McDevitt’s Priscilla Hutchens series of novels has the classic force field as you have designed it as well. Although I think that his is more invisible space suit than armor.

7. I’m the designer of a tabletop miniature game called Rogue Stars and I was directed here by one of my players, in my game we have a personal forcefield that works exactly like that (and then we have force shields, that are wrist mounted forcefield projectors and are used mostly to protect the upper body).

• Sean Wang says:

Sounds very cool! Always thought personal force fields were a cool thing that didn’t seem to show up as much as they should. :) Glad you found RUNNERS and I hope you enjoy it!

Comment¬